From Bertalan Fodor <fod...@freemail.hu>
Subject Unneccesary class loading?
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:31:20 GMT
Hello,

I have a terrible time struggling with a performance issue on using
Batik in an applet.
When the Java Plug-in (1.5.0) is running my applet, it always try to
download lots of non-existent classes. Accessing the server takes a lot
of time and so does applet loading.
These non-existent classes are in three categories:

- classes that are related to language-dependent resources, like:

org/apache/batik/dom/svg/resources/dtdids_xx.class
org/apache/batik/util/resources/XMLResourceDescriptor_xx.class
org/apache/batik/bridge/resources/Messages.class

Perhaps I can understand this, and this doesn't take much time, because
this kind of problem generates only 22 web accesses.

- classes that are tried to be instantiated in a Class.forName, or
something like that I suppose, e.g:
org/mozilla/javascript/optimizer/Codegen.class
org/apache/batik/script/jacl/JaclInterpreterFactory.class

- classes that are related to the script variables included in the SVG
file, like:
in case of variable 'document', the classes looked for are:
java/lang/document.class
org/w3c/dom/document.class
org/w3c/dom/css/document.class
org/w3c/dom/events/document.class
org/w3c/dom/smil/document.class
org/w3c/dom/stylesheets/document.class
org/w3c/dom/svg/document.class
org/w3c/dom/views/document.class

In my svg, this causes cca. 60 other web accesses.

So I have 100 web accesses. For each of them a request is sent to the
http server, it forwards the request, to a 404-page, the Plug-in
downloads it as the file. It takes a lot of time.

Do you have any idea how to overcome this problem?

Thank you much,

Bertalan Fodor