From "Lukasz Matuszczak" <l.matuszc...@atrem.pl>
Subject Mix SVG with Swing - Swing GraphicsNode?
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:18:56 GMT
I'm using the batik toolkit to create dynamic and interactive diagrams in my
Swing application. The diagrams should mix typical SVG content with swing
components, like a JButton, ChartPanel (from JFreeChart project). I assume
that my diagram consists of a SVG background (presented by JSVGCanvas or
potentially one of its superclasses) and components, which locations and
sizes are specified relative to coordinate system of the background. By the
way, due to performance reasons, some of my components are simply
transparent JSVGCanvases. For example when I want to change quickly some
small part of my SVG document (for example to rotate fast a small arrow
symbol in a big complicated document), using single JSVGCanvas turned out to
be totally ineffective. Instead I'm cutting out DOM  fragment and creating
separate SVG document out of it. It is a little tricky solution because i
have to set <svg> tag viewbox attribute properly for the additional SVG
Document, when i want my JSVGCanvas component to have a different location
and size than my background JSVGCanvas.

I have already created my own tags such as  <oc:component id="btn1"
type="JButton" x="100" y="170" width="200" height="20"><oc:param
name="caption" value="My Button"></oc:component>

I can see different approaches to implement SVG and Swing mix.

1. Using JLayeredPane with custom layout manager. It is my current approach,
with which i'm not satisfied. In layout container we can set components'
bounds in layoutContainer method, based on viewboxtransform of background
canvas. The layered pane revalidate method is called in
gvtRenderingCompleted or updateCompleted when the viewbox transform has
changed. Off course it's a simplification, because components' bounds should
be calculated according to their parent tags coordinate system.
The shortcoming of this solution is that we can't put JLayeredPane in
JSVGScrollPane, so we have to implement all zoom and scrolling stuff on our
own.
2. Using JSVGCanvas as container (add method) - it is similar to first
solution, but it's potentially easier to use JSVGScrollPane.
3. Using batik extension mechanism. It would be the best solution because
all positioning, zooming, scrolling, painting, printing and so on, would be
supported directly by batik. Also i could partially cover swing components
by SVG shapes.
Thierry Kormann in
http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-users/archives/msg01001.html
suggests that it is possible, but i got stuck in event dispatching and
repainting.
I have made bridges and dom extensions and MyComponentNode extending
AbstractGraphicsNode.
For example i call JButton's paint from MyComponentNode's primitivePaint(..)
method to paint button at specific place:

public void primitivePaint(Graphics2D g2d) {
  Graphics gForComponent = g2d.create();
  gForComponent.translate(button.getX(), button.getY());
  button.paint(gForComponent);
}

At MyComponentNodeBridge' createGraphicsNode method I register listener on
graphics nodes mouse events. The code is:

  UserAgent ua = ctx.getUserAgent();
  if (ua != null) {
  EventDispatcher dispatcher = ua.getEventDispatcher();
  if (dispatcher != null) {
    dispatcher.addGraphicsNodeMouseListener(node.getMouseListener());
  }

I wanted to implement all methods of my mouseListener similar to:
button.dispatchEvent(new MouseEvent(button,
  evt.getID(),
  evt.getWhen(),
  evt.getModifiers(),
  x,
  y,
  evt.getClickCount(),
  false));

Well, it nearly works but the problem is that the JButton doesn't belong to
Swing hierarchy so it won't repaint itself (for example to show that it's
pressed down).

Has anyone succeeded in making graphics node in GVT Tree based on Swing
Component, making it interactive when showed in JSVGCanvas?

I would also be grateful for any thoughts about advantages and disadvantages
of above approaches (espacially in the context of memory and processor
usage).

Thanks in advance.
Lukasz Matuszczak