From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:14:15 GMT
Tang, Charlie Y. wrote:

> I have a problem of OutofMemoryError when updating my screen
> continuously every second after about a day or so

   I don't know if the system has been stress tested to
this extent .  Every update involves a fair amount of code.
Someone is obviously holding onto something but I don't know what.
What version of Batik are you using?  What sorts of updates are you
doing? (text, shapes, fill colors, fill gradients, transforms, etc).

> I’m guessing the problem is the RunnableUpdate ru added to the
> RunnableQueue causes a RunnableQueue.Link object to be created to link
> to every Runnable Update

    This is probably not the problem (I looked at the code it
is, at least on the face of it unlinking the nodes).  It is probably
something much deeper in Batik.

> And that does not get deleted eventhough there is only one instances of
> RunnableUpdate and that’s ru. ? is there a way to update my screen
> continuously and indefinately?

    It should just work.  The only real way to find the problem
would be to use a tool like JProbe which has pretty good tools
for identifying garbage that is collecting over time.  I'm
willing to work with you on this, but I don't have access to
JProbe or any other "real" memory debugging tool for Java right now.