From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: New Java version 5 or 1.5
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:39:52 GMT
Hi Leo,

Leo van den Berg wrote:

> Has somebody experience with the new Java version and if yes, are there
> already some problems encountered? We want to start a small study
> project at our University about Batik running under Java 1.5 and we are
> curious about possible performance increases (especially due to the
> OpenGL support under the new version).

    Just a few comments on performance increases.  As I understand it
the current drawing will generally not be accelerated, because we
do lots of anti-aliased drawing.  It is possible that if you drop
back to 'crispEdges' rendering you will see the acceleration.

> We don’t want to re-invent the wheel again! On the other hand, if no
> such study exist , we will start it up next month and we hope to share
> the results with you all,

    I would be very interested to know the results.  Especially if
there are things we can do to help Java2D help us.

> P.S. many thanks for the quality of the forum and especially for the
> developers of Batik!

    Thanks!