From hamdi ines <hamdi_ines2...@yahoo.fr>
Subject free conversion tool to xml format
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:20:33 GMT
thank you for your help, but my problem is not what format I must choose, I know if you know
a free software or engine that can convert all GIS format to the XML format.
Ines

Andreas Neumann <neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch> wrote:
so - what exactly are you looking for?

an XML GIS format for storage or for display?

as a storage format I would recommend looking into GML (see Open GIS
consortium for more details)

as a display format you can use SVG, which is XML based.

A free ArcviewShapefile to SVG converter exists at
http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/utils/shp2svg/

there are other free or commercial converter besides that one.

Andreas

hamdi ines wrote:

> hello,
> I have many GIS file in different format (Shape, STDS?....), i need
> to convert them in an unified format like xm but the problem that the
> softwre are all shareware but I want use an open source tool, can any
> one give me a free tool to convert the GIS format in XML format.
> thanks advanced.
> INES

> Créez gratuitement votre Yahoo! Mail avec *100 Mo de stockage !*
> Créez votre Yahoo! Mail
>

> *Le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger est arrivé !* Découvrez toutes les
> nouveautés pour dialoguer instantanément avec vos amis. Téléchargez
> GRATUITEMENT ici !

Andreas Neumann - Department of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg, CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.karto.ethz.ch/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/