From Brendan Lane Larson <BrendanLaneLar...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Batik 1.5 and MacOSX10.2.6 startup problems
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:28:59 GMT
Andreas,

When I previously had the Batik 1.5 Beta installed (which is when
Squiggle was working fine for me), I also noticed comparative slowness
relative to a Windows XP Pro (on Intel Celeron processor) ... the
laptop I use quite a bit is not too dissimilar to your configuration (1
GB RAM, 800 MhZ G4 processor). I seem to recall from SVG Open that
someone had stated that Apple had done quite a good job with the JDK
implementation (including Hotspot), but if my memory serves me correct
(I don't have my SVG Open notes in front of me at the moment), I think
someone also said that Apple's implementation of GUI related classes
(Java 2D API? Swing?) was a bit "unique" (perhaps in terms of
integrating with Apple's Quartz windowing)?

It just struck me -- I wonder if the following is a possibility --
Apple (not too long ago -- less than a year ago I think?) introduced
Quartz Extreme which works only on certain Macintosh hardware that has
the necessary video card hardware required to run Quartz Extreme. Prior
to Quartz Extreme I believe Apple referred to Quartz as "Quartz 2D" ...
and according to the Apple documentation on Quartz (see the Quartz
Extreme PDF located under the heading "Technology Briefs" at
http://www.apple.com/macosx/ which is dated as being published in
October 2002), it states:

> The Mac OS X graphics system consists of Quartz 2D, which renders
> fonts as well as vector
> and bitmap graphics; OpenGL for generating 3D graphics; and QuickTime
> for producing
> dynamic media. These media types are blended together on the display
> by the window server,
> called the Quartz Compositor, the engine behind the unique effects in
> Aqua, such as
> transparency and drop shadows.

There is a side bar in this document regarding fonts in recent Quartz
updates (Quartz Extreme ??) that states:

> Richer font support
>
> • The default instance of Multiple Master (PostScript) fonts is
> supported.
>
> • An ATM Lite PostScript rasterizer is built in, eliminating the need
> for third-party PostScript font-rendering software.
>
> • Even more high-quality fonts are included, enabling users to spice
> up documents and communicate in other languages, including Arabic and
> Hebrew.
>
> • Four font-smoothing styles can be specified to increase readability:
> Standard (best for CRT displays), Light, Medium (best for flat-panel
> displays), and Strong.

Might there be a difference (worth looking into) with respect to the
set of system fonts that are loaded onto a system (difference between
Mac OS X 10.2 systems that are configured to use hardware acceleration
on Macs that have video circuitry that meet the minimal Quartz Extreme
requisites v.s. systems that are not configured to take advantage of
Quartz Extreme)?

This might make sense since Thomas DeWeese has previously had only
access for testing on a Mac OS X 10.1 system (which is well before the
era of Quartz enhancements including Quartz Extreme which is only
available on Mac OS X 10.2 and with certain video hardware minimal
requisites). Hardware acceleration should not necessarily make a
difference in the set of fonts that Apple includes with OS X 10.2 for a
particular Macintosh, but it still might be possible that the font sets
are different (Mac OS X 10.2 Software Update application appears to do
specific system configurations in the form of optimization).

Maybe comparing Squiggle from Batik final release 1.5 running on a Mac
OS X 10.2 configuration on Mac that does not have minimal video
hardware requisites to run Quartz Extreme v.s. a Mac that can run
Quartz Extreme would be a worthwhile lab test to run? Do any Batik
users here have a Mac that is not physically capable of running Quartz
Extreme yet is running Mac OS X 10.2.x with different JDK installations
that can be tested with Squiggle? Below are the requisites for Quartz
Extreme from the PDF document aforementioned:

> System Requirements
> Quartz Extreme
> GPU requirements
> *16MB of video memory (32MB recommended)
> *AGP 2X (AGP 4X recommended)
> *Any Macintosh desktop computer with an AGP 2X slot or better can be
> upgraded with a supported graphics card to take advantage of Quartz
> Extreme.
> Supported graphics cards
> *NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti, or GeForce4 MX graphics
> cards
> * ATI AGP-based Radeon graphics cards
> * On cards with 16MB of video memory, Quartz Extreme is not supported
> in the extended desktop mode of multiple-display configurations.
> Quartz Extreme is supported in video mirroring mode.
>
> Quartz 2D
> * Only Power Mac G4 and PowerBook G4 computers receive the benefit of
> the G4 Velocity Engine enhancement.
> * Only dual processor Power Mac G4 computers benefit from symmetric
> multiprocessing enhancements in Quartz.

Cheers,

-Brendan