From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Lazy rendering and zoom
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:09:51 GMT
Mark Claassen wrote:
> I noticed there is a setProgressivePaint(boolean) method in
> JGVTComponent.  This seems to display items on the canvas as they are
> rendered, and not just display the whole document at once.
>
> What I was wondering was if there is an option that goes a step further,
> and would restrict rendering to just viewable area.  This is a common
> thing in Swing, where, for instance, the rows of a table that are not
> currently visible in a JScrollPane are never rendered.
>
> The default zooming behaviour in Batik seems to render a portion of the
> document while not changing the canvas size.  We would like to change
> the canvas size, so that the we can pan to see any part of the document
> we need simply by moving the scrollbars.  Unfortunately, this causes
> OutOfMemory errors when the zoom factor gets large.
>
> I know we can increase the JVM heap size, but this can only go so far.
> What I was hoping for was something in the JSVGCanvas that would draw
> just a portion of the document on the canvas, and then when a scroll
> occurred, it would noticed that this area had not been rendered and draw
> that.  One could even go so far as to anticipate the loading of sections
> and use SortReferences to hold now longer visible sections.
>
> Is there anything like this, or any plans to include something like
> this?

Hi Mark,

     This is already done for Static Documents.  The Static Renderer
keeps a tiled view of the image and when translates happen it tries to
populate the new view from the stored tiles.  This is generally not
done for dynamic documents as maintaining the tile store is expensive
for many small changes (the system would widens rendering
requests to tile boundries) also there were a few bugs in what I
will call odd cases (the size/location of the root SVG changing).
However depending on your context this still might be a win for your
case.  It is pretty easy to change this by overiding the following
method in batik.swing.svg.JSVGComponent:

     protected ImageRenderer createImageRenderer() {
         if (isDynamicDocument) {
             return rendererFactory.createDynamicImageRenderer();
         } else {
             return rendererFactory.createStaticImageRenderer();
         }
     }

    So it always returns a static ImageRenderer.