From Michael Gale <michael.g...@bitflash.com>
Subject Rendering Issue
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:00:32 GMT
Batik-User Group,

The attached SVG file takes a really long time to render with Batik
1.5beta4b (60+ hours), and I was wondering if you could shed some light on
to why it takes so long, and if you are planning on fixing the problem
anytime soon.  This could be caused by an infinite loop, but after debugging
the problem for a while, it doesn't appear to be the case.

The problem appears to be caused by the filter effects within the file.  If
you delete those, the file renders in under five seconds.  Almost every
shape uses the defined filter effect, which is mostly composed of some alpha
compositing and component-wise remapping functions.  It seems that when the
filter effects are applied it creates an inordinate number of temporary
renderable surfaces and then composites them using a complex filter chain.
I don't know enough about Batik's renderable surface classes to make an
accurate assessment of what is going wrong, so I'm hoping this is where
someone else could step in and take my place...

Thanks a lot,
Michael Gale