From Thomas E Deweese <thomas.dewe...@kodak.com>
Subject textLength
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:39:31 GMT

Hi Jim,

JL> When I set the textLength of a text element, Squiggle appears to
JL> offset the start of the first character of the group somewhat so
JL> it no longers starts at the location I tell it.

JL> See http://jibbering.com/2002/8/svg-textlength.svg

    Thanks for putting together a good test case.  Can I borrow parts
of it to add to Batik's test suite?

    This is now fixed in the current CVS code base.

JL> You'll see that even though the text is set to to start at 100px
JL> in each example it moves to the right depending on the size of the
JL> font, what appears to be happening is that the textLength is
JL> constrained but only after the lead in space of the font has
JL> already been added.

    Correct, the first glyphs lead in space wasn't being scaled, it is
now.  This also revealed a complimentary bug in the visual advance
code that caused centered/end anchored text to be slightly off in some
cases (I had noticed it the last time I worked on the code, but I
couldn't track down the source of the bug - fixing your bug made it
'easy' :).