From "Randall Parker" <randa...@nls.net>
Subject Adobe SVGViewer says: bad CSS property or descriptor declaration
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 19:13:56 GMT
Has anyone else downloaded the Adobe SVGViewer and tried it as a browser plug-in to view SVG

files generated by Batik SVGGraphics2D class? I can view the files with the Batik SVG Browser
but
not with the Adobe SVGViewer.

If you don't already have the Adobe SVGViewer plug-in and are running Windows or Mac you can

download it here:
   http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/main.html

I'm using it in IE5.5 SP1 on NT4 SP6a.

First of all, if you do this you absolutely have to set the character encoding. Adobe SVG
Viewer will
complain about an unrecognized encoding on the first line if you don't set it.

So this results in an error:
   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="cp1252"?>
whereas this is accepted:
   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

This is what I do to generate a document. The line for the MakerObj.doGenToGr2D() method call
is a
call to a graphics lib that does a lot of Graphics2D calls to fill in the document I'm generating.

      org.w3c.dom.DOMImplementation domImpl =
         org.apache.batik.dom.GenericDOMImplementation.getDOMImplementation();
      org.w3c.dom.Document document = domImpl.createDocument(null,"svg",null);
      SVGGraphics2D svggr2d = new SVGGraphics2D(document);

      MakerObj.doGenToGr2D(svggr2d,0,0,DrawingWidth,DrawingHeight);

      try
      {
        java.io.FileOutputStream SvgOut = new java.io.FileOutputStream("\\tmp\\svgout.svg");

        boolean useCSS = true; // we want to use CSS style attribute
        java.io.Writer StreamOut = new java.io.OutputStreamWriter(SvgOut, "UTF-8");
        svggr2d.stream(StreamOut, useCSS);
        SvgOut.close();
      }

However, now that I've fixed that problem I'm seeing this message:
   bad CSS property or descriptor declaration
 You can see that message at the bottom of IE if you place your mouse over the blank white
page
window.

Before I go trying to isolate this to a particular line in the SVG file does anyone know whether

Adobe's SVGViewer is at a different standards level for the SVG spec? Or is there some other

reason not to expect it not to work?