From Thomas E Deweese <thomas.dewe...@kodak.com>
Subject RE: Generating SVG
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 12:05:12 GMT

>>  Since XML is only a syntax you need to specify the task more
>> clearly.  But it sounds like a task for XSLT to me -- you can turn
>> your XML format into SVG using XSLT and then use Batik to render
>> it. Batik can turn drawing primites in Java into XML, i.e. you can
>> draw an SVG file with the usual Java drawing primitives, but XML to
>> XML conversions are XSLTs job ;-) This includes SVG, which is an
>> XML format.
>>
>> HTH, PeterB
>>

IS> My next question is, how do I render my XML files into SVG if I
IS> already have XSL files?

    Well, SVG is like any other XML document only instead of having an
'employee' tag (element) which has a 'date-of-birth' attribute, You
have a 'rectangle' (ellipse, path, etc) tag (element) that has an 'x',
'y', 'width', 'height' attribute (along with fill, stroke, transform,
etc).

    What tags exist what the attributes are and how they are used is
all described if you read the fine SVG specification:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/PR-SVG-20010719/