From "Randall Parker" <randa...@nls.net>
Subject Re: Adobe SVGViewer doesn't like font-family:sansserif.italic without apos
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:32:36 GMT
Stephane,

Are you a Batik committer? Is any Batik committer reading this message?

I posted elsewhere and got this response that argues it is a bug in Batik. In fact, it is
two separate bugs since it is an illegal family name as well. This response came from
   David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>

	It's an error in Batik, and it is a violation of CSS2 rather
	than specifically SVG.

	See appendix D of the CSS2 specification:

	amongst other things, attribute values may be strings or
	idents.  Strings are between matchedd 's or "s and may not
	contain an unescaped instance of the corresponding quote.

	idents are a name start character followed by:
[a-z0-9-]|{nonascii}|{escape}

	[DJW:]  which doesn't permit unescaped .s.

	Note that sans-serif, with a hyphen, is a reserved name
	and this attribute is a family name, so should not normally
	include modifiers like italic or bold (CSS2 14.4.6).