From "Rory O'Donnell" <rory.odonn...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Batik dependencies on JDK-Internal APIs
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:53:05 GMT
Hi Luis,

Thanks for the update !

We are very interested in hearing your experiences in testing any Early
Access builds. Have you have begun testing against
JDK 9 and or JDK 9 with Project Jigsaw EA builds, have you uncovered
showstopper issues that you would like to discuss?
We would really like to hear your findings so far, either reply to me or
via the mailing lists [1], [2].

Early Access b113 <https://jdk9.java.net/download/> for JDK 9 is
available on java.net, summary of  changes are listed here
<http://download.java.net/java/jdk9/changes/jdk-9+113.html>.

Early Access b113 <https://jdk9.java.net/jigsaw/> (#4664) for JDK 9 with
Project Jigsaw is available on java.net.

  * The important change in this build is that root modules when
    compiling code in the unnamed module, or when running and the main
    class is loaded from the class path, do not include the EE modules.
    More on this in JEP 261.
  * The other change in this build is that the -Xpatch option is now
    aligned with what we have documented in JEP 261, support for the old
    form has been removed.

Rgds,Rory

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/
[2] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk9-dev/

On 15/04/2016 12:25, Simon Steiner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've removed these classes since they were not being used anymore.
>
> Thanks

look at the internal dependencies on the com.sun.* packages ?

reorganized the source code according to that structure (JEP 201 <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/201>),
and restructured the JDK and JRE run-time images to support modules (JEP 220 <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/220>).
The last major component, the module system itself (JSR 376 <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/spec/>
and JEP 261 <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/261>), was integrated into JDK 9 earlier last
week and is now available for testing in early-access build 111 - here. <http://jdk9.java.net/download>

> More information on Mark Reinhold's blog [1]
>
> Rgds, Rory
>
> Project Jigsaw <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/> is an enormous effort,
encompassing six JEPs <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/#jeps> implemented by
dozens of engineers over many years. So far we’ve defined a modular structure for the JDK
and JEP 261 <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/261>), was integrated into JDK 9 <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk9>
earlier this week and is now available for testing in early-access build 111 <http://jdk9.java.net/download>.
> [1] http://mreinhold.org/blog/jigsaw-module-system
>

> On 30/05/2015 11:21, Luis Bernardo wrote:
>> Hi Rory,
>>
>> Thank you for your message.
>>
>> We know for a fact that Batik relies on com.sun.* packages (in
>> particular com.sun.image.codec.* packages). I will run jdeps to see if
>> I uncover more problems, but we already know we have a problem.
>>
>> The question is where we go from here. If I understand the point you
>> are trying to communicate is that with JDK 9, Batik, as is right now
>> with dependencies on com.sun.* packages, will not work anymore. And I
>> think the goal of your message was to call our attention to this fact.
>> So, we acknowledge here that we are aware of this looming problem.
>>
>> We will try to find bandwidth and resources to address this.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Luis
>>

>> On 5/29/15 9:55 AM, Rory O'Donnell wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Is there someone who could help with this ?
>>>
>>> Rgds,Rory

>>> --
>>> Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
>>> Quality Engineering Manager
>>> Oracle EMEA , Dublin, Ireland
> --
> Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
> Quality Engineering Manager
> Oracle EMEA , Dublin, Ireland
>

> Simon Steiner
> Developer
> Smart Communications Division <http://www.thunderhead.com/smart-communications>
> T +44 20 8238 7464
> ssteiner@thunderhead.com
>
> [https://www.thunderhead.com/uploads/2016/02/email-footer-banner-SC.png] <http://www.thunderhead.com/smart-communications>
>
> Smart Communications is a trading name of Thunderhead Limited which is registered in
England under No. 4303041 whose registered office is at Ingeni Building, 17 Broadwick Street,
Soho, London. W1F 0DJ.

> The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains confidential
information. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy
or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately
and then destroy it.