From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CFF Conversion
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:50:23 GMT
Hi Alex,

On 26/02/13 02:01, Alex Harui wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Apache Flex project is looking for code that will generate CFF format from TTF and
OTF files.  The Adobe versions of Flex shipped with Adobe-owned libraries that did this conversion.
  Apache Flex needs to re-create this functionality in the open.

Just to make sure we put the same meaning to the acronym, by CFF you
mean Compact Font Format?

Then I’m not too sure what you want to achieve exactly. An OpenType font
can have PostScript outlines (CFF). Do you want to extract the content
of the CFF table for use by some legacy application that doesn’t
understand OTF but does understand CFF? Or do you want to convert fonts
with TrueType outlines (quadratic Bézier curves) into PostScript
outlines (cubic Bézier curves)?

In the former case, any OTF parser would provide a good start (Batik,
FOP or FontBox —although I suspect FontBox might be easier). In the
latter case, this is much more involved and would probably be out of
scope for Batik or FOP, that are more concerned with extracting metrics
from the font rather than playing with the actual glyph data.

> So, a few questions:
>

>  1.  Is there any code in Batik we can leverage?  It looks like there is TTF file reading
and parsing code, but no CFF code?
>  2.  Is Batik interested in any code we create to accomplish this task?
>
> BTW, I am asking PDFBox as well.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Alex Harui