From David Wimsey <dwim...@rtsz.com>
Subject Re: flowRoot doesn't seem to handle flowPara children properly
Date Thu, 06 May 2010 22:00:29 GMT
Sorry to self reply, forgot to attach the examples.

So here they are, test_good.svg works fine but isn't what Inkscape spits out, though it seems
every other editor does output this way.  test_bad.svg isn't directly from Inkscape but the
elements are the same and it seems to be valid, just doesn't render the text, nor does Squiggle
let you select the text or anything like that.  Its not just invisible its not there at all.

On May 6, 2010, at 5:57 PM, David Wimsey wrote:

> It would appear that if I create a flowRoot with the required flowRegion and a flowPara
(which seems to be allowed by my interpretation of the spec, Am I reading it wrong?) no text
is rendered.

> If I nest the flowPara inside a flowDiv first, it works fine, which also is fine according
to the spec.

> The real problem for me comes down to the fact that Inkscape doesn't seem to output the
flowDiv, where as the other editors we've been using in the past do.  I was tracking down
the various bits of info to submit it as a bug to Inkscape but the spec seems to indicate
the bug is in Batik.

> Anyone have any thoughts as to fixing this?  Doesn't seem like it should be too much
of a fix for someone with knowledge of the internals, or is there a reason that it works like
it does?

> Note: The spec I'm refering to is: http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/flow.html
 Again, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.