From Helder Magalhães <helder.magalh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Batik & Eclipse Beginner
Date Sun, 07 Feb 2010 01:33:20 GMT
Hi Elvena,

Sorry for late reply... ;-)

> I am relatively new to both Batik and Eclipse.  I recently installed Eclipse
> to try to use Batik.  I am also a beginner-level Java programmer.  Batik’s
> the first 3rd party library I’ve tried to use, so I also have some
> theoretical questions about the best way to use Batik.

Welcome to the community! :-)

> Now, I am able to add the Batik .jar libraries to Eclipse, make a test
> program, and get it to compile.   But if I try to use the source files (all
> the files under the “sources/” folder) instead to compile, I cannot because
> there’re at least several other libraries for which I’m missing the source
> code.  Are the source files purely for reference only?  They are not
> supposed to be used for compiling?  Or is there something I’m doing wrongly?
>  How are most people using Batik?

The "standard" way of building Batik is though it's build
infrastructure (based in Apache Ant). Take a look at the
"build.bat/build.sh" scripts and the "build.xml", which will probably
be a good start-up. :-)

Nevertheless, I recall threads in the mailing list about people using
Eclipse as IDE to work on/integrate with Batik. Just crawl through the
archives and you'll probably find out interesting information. ;-)

> This also brings me to my next question.  When working with a library as
> large as Batik, is it generally better to edit the source files directly and
> then compile them, or is it the preferred way to extend existing classes?

Well, the "Extending Batik" [1] page should provide enough information
on this. Said that, if you come up with things you believe to be
interesting to improve/add to the framework, then sharing them with
the mailing list/bug tracker can benefit the whole community! :-)

> Thanks in advance for your time.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Elvena

Hope this helps,