From Helder Magalhães <helder.magalh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regard: setup and results
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:39:14 GMT
Hi Cameron,

> It would be great if we could get
> the latest SVG 1.1 test suite run in regard, rather than the BE test
> suite.

Yeah, that would be the best, though it sounds like quite a bit of
effort -- any ideas for the of actions needed to accomplish this (even
if very drafted/high level)? More related stuff below.

Related with this I'd propose:
 * Creating a bug for passing the SVG 1.1 full test suite (for tracking);
 * Start creating bugs for tests currently failing and mark a
dependency on the other one.

This could/would provide an insight on the currently failing tests
(although there are hints available [1] [2] for the 1.7 release) and
might act as an invitation for Jeff Schiller to update the SVG support
table [2] for a recent Batik SVN revision (if there are relevant
improvements, of course). :-)

>> Should I try to marsh up a patch containing this? If so, should I
>> attach it here or create a report in the bug tracker to handle this?
>
> Create a bug, please.

Great, will do. :-)  My current idea (regarding this specifically) is to:
 * Create a bug for fixing the current regard issues;
 * Create a separate bug for updating regard for the SVG 1.1 test
suite and mark a dependency on the other one.

>> 2. About a few runs results, I've noticed a few relevant rendering regressions:
>>  * samples/tests/spec/paints/linearGradientLine.svg (missing most
>> relevant part of rendering);
>>  * samples/tests/spec/paints/radialGradientLine.svg (missing most
>> relevant part of rendering);
>>  * samples/tests/spec/paints/gradientPoint.svg (missing most relevant
>> part of rendering).
>
> I think that those tests are invalid, since a clarification was made to
> the spec and official test suite about how objectBoundingBox gradients
> should work when the the bounding box has zero width or height.
>
> (I haven’t got a pointer right now to where the clarification was, but I
> remember committing the change.)
[from below]
> I think the regard test suite needs updating for these zero size
> bounding box gradient tests.

So do you believe the tests should be modified or simply
disabled/removed from regard? If they should be modified, are there
any suggestion on how to modify them or should the comparison images
simply be updated?

>> Also, minor potential color matching regressions or JVM improvements
>> (not being familiar with color matching causes me not to tell the
>> difference):
[...]
> I guess these will need careful analysis to determine if the resulting
> colours are correct.

Thomas, can you provide any insight here? Or should a bug be created
for this? (I'm afraid it may get lost within the mailing list...)

>> Batik revision used in this test run was 761228 (the most up-to-date
>> as of now). I'm on Windows XP SP3 and using JDK 1.6 Update 12. The JDK
>> version could itself be a source of some regressions, but I'm
>> currently experiencing a problem with JDK 1.4 update 19:
>>
>> Running jarCheckLoadSameAsDocument(scripts=application/java-archive)(scriptOrigin=any)(secure=true)
>> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
>> org/apache/batik/bridge/IWasLoadedToo (Unsupported major.minor version
>> 50.0)
>
> Did you clean the build before running the tests under 1.4?  Perhaps the
> IWasLoadedToo class was built while you were testing 1.6.

I did clean it, but this keeps happening no matter what. I guess that
either Ant or regard are building that specific test(s) without taking
my current JAVAHOME environment variable into consideration (probably
directly invoking "javac" or something like that). Will try to take a
deeper look at this...

Cheers,
 Helder

[1] http://www.codedread.com/svg-support.php