From Helder Magalhães <helder.magalh...@gmail.com>
Subject Regard: setup and results
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 17:35:01 GMT
Hi Batik developers,

I've been struggling with "regard" for a while so I wanted to share a
few thoughts... :-)

1. About the setup, it seems that the information is sparse and
incomplete. I've noticed that the online documentation [1] misses
setup steps, which I've found in a mailing list thread [2] and in the
"MAINTAIN" file. I'm proposing the following:
 * Add a "setup" section to the online documentation [1];
 * Move the running regard instructions within the "MAINTAIN" file a
bit more towards the top. Running regard is in step 7 and is stated
that, if it fails, one should go back to step 1. Wasn't it more useful
if regard was one of the first actions?
 * In the setup instructions, add a direct link to BE test suite
archive [3], as the instructions in "MAINTAIN" file point to a page
[4] where the information seems no longer available (not even in the
more specific Test Suite Overview page [5]). Should this be pointed
out to the SVG WG instead (Cameron)?

Should I try to marsh up a patch containing this? If so, should I
attach it here or create a report in the bug tracker to handle this?

2. About a few runs results, I've noticed a few relevant rendering regressions:
 * samples/tests/spec/paints/linearGradientLine.svg (missing most
relevant part of rendering);
 * samples/tests/spec/paints/radialGradientLine.svg (missing most
relevant part of rendering);
 * samples/tests/spec/paints/gradientPoint.svg (missing most relevant
part of rendering).

Also, minor potential color matching regressions or JVM improvements
(not being familiar with color matching causes me not to tell the
difference):
 * samples/tests/spec/color/colorProfile.svg (colors are quite different);
 * samples/tests/spec/scripting/paintType.svg (too much red? on the
rectangle at position [2,2]);
 * samples/tests/spec/masking/maskRegions.svg (too much red? on the
masked shapes);
 * color-colorProf-BE-03.svg (colors are quite different in the top
right group of regtangles);
 * RHints-RenderingCheck (too much red/too much green on the pattern
using bicubic resampling)
 * RHints-ContextRenderingCheck (too much red/too much green on the
pattern using bicubic resampling)

Batik revision used in this test run was 761228 (the most up-to-date
as of now). I'm on Windows XP SP3 and using JDK 1.6 Update 12. The JDK
version could itself be a source of some regressions, but I'm
currently experiencing a problem with JDK 1.4 update 19:

Running jarCheckLoadSameAsDocument(scripts=application/java-archive)(scriptOrigin=any)(secure=true)
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/apache/batik/bridge/IWasLoadedToo (Unsupported major.minor version
50.0)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:251)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:55)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
        at org.apache.batik.bridge.BaseScriptingEnvironment.loadScript(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.batik.bridge.BaseScriptingEnvironment.loadScripts(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.svg.SelfContainedSVGOnLoadTest.runImpl(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.batik.bridge.ScriptSelfTest.runImpl(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.AbstractTest.run(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.DefaultTestSuite.runImpl(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.AbstractTest.run(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.DefaultTestSuite.runImpl(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.AbstractTest.run(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.DefaultTestSuite.runImpl(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.AbstractTest.run(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.DefaultTestSuite.runImpl(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.AbstractTest.run(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.DefaultTestSuite.runImpl(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.AbstractTest.run(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.xml.XMLTestSuiteRunner.runTest(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.xml.XMLTestSuiteRunner.run(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.xml.XMLTestSuiteRunner.run(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.test.xml.XMLTestSuiteRunner.main(Unknown Source)

So I've only checked that loading
"samples/tests/spec/paints/linearGradientLine.svg" in Squiggle
(build/run by JDK 1.4 update 19) also shows the same rendering result.

I may attach the "Differences" images regard generates, if it sounds useful. :-)

Best regards,
  Helder

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/dev/test.html#regard
[2] http://www.nabble.com/Running-regard-td6887139.html