From "Declan Shanaghy" <dshana...@w5networks.com>
Subject Font hinting and kerning
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2008 21:37:57 GMT
Good afternoon all,

We are in the midst of designing an SVG based product on which the final
rasterized images

will be sent to a small dot matrix LCD.

There is some concern that small fonts may not render in the best
fashion for our display.

I am trying to find out if it is possible to provide extra hinting
and/or kerning rules to the font rasterization

engine used by Batik.

If that is not possible...would our only solution be to somehow override
the font rasterization engine completely?

I realize this would be a huge job. The point here is to try and figure
out how deep do we need to delve?

I am *very* new to font rasterization and 2D graphics in general so any
help at all in this area is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Declan Shanaghy