From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: BMP Support
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2008 18:21:51 GMT
Kai,

if all you want is to embed a BMP file in an SVG graphic, you don't need
to implement a BMPTranscoder. You'd implement a BMPTranscoder if you
wanted to convert SVG to BMP.

Since you mention SVG inside XSL-FO/FOP, I can tell you that what you
want to do is already possible (with Apache FOP 0.95). While Batik
itself doesn't support using BMP images inside SVG (when you transcode
to JPEG or PNG, for example), FOP can make use of a larger set of
supported image formats (through the use of Apache XML Graphics Commons'
image loader framework) when rendering to PDF. Sooner or later, Batik
will also integrate this functionality. However, to make BMP work you'll
have to put JAI Image I/O Tools [1][2] into your classpath. This package
contains an ImageIO-compatible codec that can read BMP files that is a
prerequisite for this to work.

[1] https://jai-imageio.dev.java.net/
[2] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/graphics.html#support-overview

Good luck!

On 09.08.2008 16:35:26 Kai Claussen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to develope a BMPTranscoder for Batik. As far as i know
> batik does not support BMP Images i.e. something like:
>
> <image x="10" y="10" width="100" height="119" xlink:href="aBMPImage.bmp" />
>
> I read somewhere that I should Implement something similar to
> PNGTranscoder. Does anybody can tell me waht steps I have to make to
> make this work.
>
> I mean I think I have to register the new Encoder somewhere etc...
>
> Does anybody know a link or can tell what I have to do.
>
> In the end I want to embedd the SVG in a fop Document rendered as PDF.
>
> Thank for any help
>
> regards Kai

Jeremias Maerki