From Cameron McCormack <...@mcc.id.au>
Subject Re: IE8 doesn't do SVG, now is good timing for Batik to fix that in a more general way
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 20:04:56 GMT
Jeremias Maerki:
> Indeed. I actually thought about the IE plug-in myself recently but I've
> had enough of the Win32 dev platform (and C and ObjectPascal) that I'm
> not going to bother. I think this would make a perfect GSoC project,
> however.

I’ve been thinking on and off about the plugin thing for a while.  Two
approaches came to mind:

  * write a simple ActiveX component (or however you do it these days,
    I’m not very familiar with Win32/COM/.NET stuff) that communicates
    with Batik in a JVM, and paints the component with renderings from
    Batik and forwards events from the component to Batik; or

  * compile Batik with gcj and GNU classpath and use that by the ActiveX
    component.

> Anyway, volunteers and patches are always welcome! Good ideas are
> already here. ;-)

Yep. :)

I haven’t quite decided yet if I have the time to mentor a GSoC student
this year.

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/