From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: IE8 doesn't do SVG, now is good timing for Batik to fix that in a more general way
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 15:45:20 GMT
Indeed. I actually thought about the IE plug-in myself recently but I've
had enough of the Win32 dev platform (and C and ObjectPascal) that I'm
not going to bother. I think this would make a perfect GSoC project,
however.

Anyway, volunteers and patches are always welcome! Good ideas are
already here. ;-)

On 06.03.2008 16:26:58 Ruud Steltenpool wrote:
> There's a lot of buzz about SVG at the moment.
> Ranging from an unstoppable SVG train, and no Flash (webkit SVG coming?)
> on iPhone, to STILL no SVG in version 8 of Internet Explorer which just
> had a Beta release.
> Wouldn't this be great timing for Batik stepping up (Batik has great SVG
> support, it's just a bit to difficult for most people, as most people
> are far from programmers or sysadmins) ?
>
> Some ideas:
>
> - http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/appletizeSVG?url=.......... if
> only it works for a significant part of content out there, that would
> already make a big difference. Plus with a simple bookmarklet (which
> comes with the Batik installer or website at least) it's easily callable.
>
> - Make stuff described on
> http://frankbruder.fr.ohost.de/scripting/batikinstall.html (Squiggle
> start menu shortcut, create PNG, PDF, SVG Fonts and pretty printed SVG)
> part of the Batik installer.
>
> - An ActiveX wrapper for Squiggle so you can install it as an SVG
> plug-in on IE (of course embedded in general Batik installer)
>
> Even less need for Silverlight wouldn't hurt either :-)

Jeremias Maerki