From brindahl <rind...@lrcwe.com>
Subject Re: IE8 doesn't do SVG, now is good timing for Batik to fix that in a more general way
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:22:50 GMT

Cameron McCormack-4 wrote:

> That would certainly be possible.  There is an example of using Batik in
> an applet at http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/demo.html.  You could
> use conditional comments to let a normal SVG (via  , ,
>  or whatever) render in capable UAs, and use an <applet> in IE.
>
> One disadvantage of the <applet> approach, though, is that because of
> cross-domain rules, it cannot load resources from other domains.

Cameron

What exactly would the cross-domain restriction disable?  Would this be a
killer?

Here is my thinking as an easy plan of attack:

1.  Display SVG content in a web page using Batik.
    DONE! per your example referenced above.

2. Modify the above example that takes a URL as a parameter so any file
could be rendered.

3. Create an applet similar to 2. above that uses a LOCAL copy of Batik so
the user would only have to download it once.

4. Modify the applet and use the JRE to trigger the applet based on MIME
type.

5. Package Batik with a JRE (Harmony?) that could be selected by the user.
This would include the applet in step 4.

What am I missing?
Bruce