From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: why compile with debug=off ?
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:44:09 GMT
Hi Renaud,

news <news@sea.gmane.org> wrote on 04/19/2007 07:09:44 AM:

> In the build.xml I see this:
>
>      <property name="debug"              value="off"/>
>
> Is there a good reason for this? FWIU, debug=on has negligible impact on

> performance/size, but it has a massive impact on ease of debugging.

   It has a fairly significant impact on size, so we intentionally
don't include debug in our release builds.

> Right now I can't get useful stacktraces out of batik because the stack
> does not have line numbers.

   Create a build.properties file in the same directory as the build.xml
(top level of dist), with the one line "debug=on" in it.  That way your
builds will always have debug info.

   This approach avoids issues with forgetting to turn off debug when
checking in changes to build.xml, or forgetting to change build.xml
before doing a release etc.