From Cameron McCormack <...@mcc.id.au>
Subject Re: Bundled Xerces
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 04:13:07 GMT
Thomas DeWeese:
>    Well, so this raises an interesting question.  Right now our
> code base will compile with either JDK 1.4 or 1.3 but you don't
> get the same thing when you do this.  Will a JDK 1.4 build run
> cleanly on JDK 1.3?  I would suspect not since the JGVTComponent
> will try and register a scroll wheel event handler which doesn't
> exist in JDK 1.3.

You are right, it doesn’t.  I wonder how many users of Batik actually
need 1.3 support—it must be declining.

>    This is fine for development/source dist since the build
> tools figure this all out for us, but what about when we go
> to make a binary distribution?  I think it would be fairly ugly to
> have two binary distributions (one for JDK 1.3, and one for
> JDK 1.4+).  Is that commonly done?

That’s a good point.  We haven’t had a release since that mouse wheel
stuff went in there, have we?  It seems that FOP have 1.3 and 1.4
versions of their release:

Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/