From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Converting Batik to DLL
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:39:47 GMT
Forget the Microsoft tools. They just won't work. If you want to J# to
be compatible with JDK 1.3 you'll have to talk to Microsoft.

The only viable option I see is IKVM (http://www.ikvm.net). That could
give you a .NET compatible DLL of Batik. But there's one big problem:
AWT/Java2D support in IKVM is minimal. However, I heard that GNU
Classpath (used by IKVM) recently added a pure-Java AWT implementation
which could actually help IKVM. Not sure on the status there. And if
.NET is not an option, you're probably out of luck anyway.

The other option depending on your use case is to deploy Batik as a
WebService in a normal JVM and access that from your Win32 application.

If that's also not an option you'll have to look for another SVG library
like http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/

On 21.07.2006 08:51:28 iyangim wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Currently I am developing the SVG related stuffs. I am using the Batik
> Library for managing SVG. I used JDK 1.5 for my testing and it worked fine.
> Now I want to use Visual Studio J# for the same development. I have
> following questions
>
> Question 1.
> Anybody know any tool or any idea for converting Batik library source to
> DLL?
> I already tried to use JLCA (Microsoft Java Language Conversion Assistant)
> but it did not work.
>
> Question 2.
> When I tried to compile the batik library in VS J#, it gives error for some
> of JDK API.
> The reason is that J# support JDK 1.1.5 Version and Batik need JDK 1.3 or
> later.  Is there any way that I can update the JDK in Visual Studio J#?
>
> Your kind help will be appreciated.

Jeremias Maerki