From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: Custom elements and the "style" attribute
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:16:22 GMT
Hi all,

        I don't consider the two contradictory at all.  CSS 2 says that we
should treat
the stylesheet as if the style sheet was missing the unknown properties.
The
CSSStyleDec says that we should report all the specified properties.  This
does
would not include the 'unknown' properties since CSS 2 says that we _must_
ignore
them.

        Including would also open a huge can of worms.  What is the
computed value
of an unknown property?  What is the 'default' value of an unknown
property?  Is the
unknown property inherited? Is the unknown property a short-hand for other
properties?

        These are all cases where an implementation that tries to 'fake
it' will
behave grossly different from an implementation that knows about the
property.

        CSS can not function properly without understanding a property,
which is why
the correctly indicate that unknown properties are to be ignored.

> Cameron McCormack wrote:
> > That's interesting, since CSS 2 states[1]:
> >
> >   To ensure that new properties and new values for existing properties
> >   can be added in the future, user agents are required to obey the
> >   following rules when they encounter the following scenarios:
> >
> >       * Unknown properties. User agents must ignore a declaration with
> >         an unknown property. For example, if the style sheet is:
> >
> >             H1 { color: red; rotation: 70minutes }
> >
> >         the user agent will treat this as if the style sheet had been
> >
> >        H1 { color: red }
> >
> > This seems to contradict what's said in DOM 2 Style.  Certainly
Batik's