From Anthony Green <gr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: batik with GNU Classpath
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:38:59 GMT
On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 09:52 +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> since I've heard a number of times now about the desire to run Batik/FOP
> on GNU Classpath I'd like to help make sure this can happen. However,
> the last time I tried to do anything in this direction I was utterly
> stuck. Do you have any pointers, hints, advice for me how to build a
> normal Java project that has an Ant build using GNU Classpath on Windows?

As far as I know there's no simple solution for Windows right now.
However, there's still an easy way to help.

I believe that the main problem with Batik vis-a-vis GNU Classpath, is
the use of com.sun.* classes for JPEG handling.  The answer here is to
use standard (1.4+) APIs for JPEG handling (and use the old classes when
running on a <=1.3 JRE).  Batik has a directory for 1.4 classes now.  It
seems that all the support could go in there, and some combination of
build.xml and runtime check magic could figure out what classes to build
and run.

The Wikipedia people want to use batik on gcj/GNU Classpath to render
svg for wikipedia entries, but they're stuck on this as well.

Of course, the GNU Classpath people need to fix the missing bits in
java.awt.BasicStroke.  I think this could happen relatively quickly
given all the demand.

Thanks!

AG