From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: [REQUEST] XML Graphics setup
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:59:15 GMT
NOTE: This was sent to fop-dev & batik-dev as I have a question about
the mailing lists I'd like to clarify before we 'ask' infrustructure@.

On Oct 31, 2004, at 1:28 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Dear infrastructure people,
>
> the board has recently accepted the proposal for creation of the XML
> Graphics project (which is comprised of the XML projects Batik and
> FOP).
> To aid in the process, would infrastructure please do the following:

> (ia) renames and aliases
>
>   I.   batik-dev@xml.apache.org to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>   I.   batik-users@xml.apache.org to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>   II.  xml-batik-cvs@xml.apache.org to
> batik-commits@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>   I.   fop-dev@xml.apache.org to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>   I.   fop-users@xml.apache.org to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>   II.  xml-fop-cvs@xml.apache.org to fop-commits@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>
> Please create aliases so the old adresses continue to work!

When the Apache Forrest project changed to a new domain, they also
changed from forrest-dev@x.a.o to dev@f.a.o & user@f.a.o.
Unfortunately, with this change comes (IMHO) a significant problem for
browsers of the archives: forrest-dev@ mail is a completely separate
mailing list (with a separate interface). The problem is that
forrest-dev was used for *all* dev *&* user mailing list traffic, so a
search in the 'current' mailing lists' archives does not include
content in forrest-dev (that's a separate search).

For example, with the change to fop-user@xmlgraphics.apache.org, I'd
like to make certain (if possible or logical) that we don't end up with
a similar problem.

I'm not certain what the 'solution' looks like (or even if it's a real
problem!), but I thought we should chat. If it is a problem, we may
need to set up <mailing-list>@xmlgraphics.apache.org as an alias to
and we add aliases for @xmlgraphics.a.o.

Is this something we should worry about? IMO, the ability to search
relevant archives using one search is more important than having a
'real' address vs. an alias. We still would want to have all headers
(e.g., Reply-To:) and trailers set to <mailing-list>@xmlgraphics.a.o

Thoughts?

Web Maestro Clay
--