From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Performance of Batik.dom.svg.SVGOMDocument.getById()
Date Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:23:14 GMT
Cameron McCormack wrote:

> I had wondered for a while whether elements with id attributes in shadow
> trees should be found by getElementById.  The shadow trees aren't really
> in the document tree, so I guess they shouldn't.  ASV6 does.

    ASV6 does lots of things it shouldn't :)
    More seriously given the purpose of shadow tree's I really
can't see the utility of this functionality since it will be quite
common that there will be multiple copies of the same source, hence
each having the same set of id's.  I know this was one of the reasons
for the development of the concept of shadow tree's since they aren't
really part of the tree the id conflict issue can go away.

> Now that I know of the existence of SVGSVGElement.getElementById I
> suppose that is what one should use inside shadow trees.  It would
> mean though that authors would have to put an svg element explicitly
> in their shadow trees if they want to look up elements by id.

    I know that at some point there were discussions about having
various methods for searching just within a shadow subtree.  It
also wouldn't surprise me if they would add some methods to XPath as
well to let XPath queries extend into the shadow tree's.