From Bill Haneman <bill.hane...@ireland.sun.com>
Subject Re: pending commit: GraphicsNodeRenderContext param in geom methods
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:41:09 GMT
Thierry Kormann wrote:

> >     This change _must_ come, given that sooner is usually better than
> > later for this sort of thing.  Unless you have ideas on removing
> > GraphicsNodeRenderContext, which has been part of the design since
> > very early on.
>
> OK, Bill lets go. I am just curious how you will propagate the
> GraphicsNodeRenderContext through the bridge, BridgeContext, SVGUtilities and
> CSSUtilities properly.

Hi Thierry:

Thanks for the agreement in principle.  You are right, of course, the
change propagates far.

I am not 100% happy with the result, architecturally
(GVT is still bound to a particular Renderer) but I
still think it's an improvement.

I think we came to the conclusion at one point that for multiple
GraphicsNodeRenderContexts (multiple renderers, in other words, like
the printing use case) we'd probably end up creating multiple
GVT trees, for just this reason.  It's really too bad that text
elements have this "undefined bounds" property, it makes everything
else more complicated!

I will keep everyone informed on progress, if I get a good version
here that causes no regressions and seems relatively OK in terms of
the way that the initial GraphicsNodeRenderContext is passed to the
bridge, I will commit the changes.  But at this point I don't expect
to do this today (Thursday), more likely Friday afternoon.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Haneman
+1 353 1 849 0495