From Bill Haneman <bill.hane...@ireland.sun.com>
Subject Re: pending commit: GraphicsNodeRenderContext param in geom methods
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:25:03 GMT
Thierry Kormann wrote:

> Before changing anything, I really would like to all others about this issue. I
> really prefer to change/clean the whole APIs and classes before changing code
> or add new features.

I agree that an overhaul would be nice but I don't think that the
schedule
really allows it now: Vincent is talking about 1.0 in January, there are
some
key text features which we need but we must pick and choose which API
changes
to make.

I really think that there is no good alternative to my proposal with
respect
to TextNodes, we have to do this in order to provide the features we
need.

> I am a bit nervous about modifing lots of files before cleanup is made. I know
> that's only an additional parameter but I *really* modify the dependencies
> between the package.

I am not sure what your objection is here, I am doing clean compile
with extensive regression tests.

> So, next week, I would like to start a discussion about the modifications I
> would like to do in Batik and the ones you would like and then start cleaning
> the API (without any new features or those that can be easily removed).
>
> So, please, could you want before performing any changes?

I really believe that I have to start this process immediately.  I will
not really be available after next Thursday and there will be
lots of other interruptions next week.  In short, I will have very
limited time before January, except in isolation (without CVS access).
And I can't do anything more until these changes are made.  I don't want
my own codebase to diverge too far in isolation!

The change I am making is not really architectural, is is an incremental
change which will do no harm.  At this point I think incremental changes
are best,
and the one I am doing now sets the stage for improvement of the text
support in
a way that will require no further changes to the rest of GVT and
bridge.

> And, if all of us can already think about the things they would like to clean
> or document or illustrate with examples... that would be great.
>
> One of the bigest topic as far I am concerned is : "remove the refimpl packages
> and provide a nice, well documented set of concrete packages."

I think this should wait for after 1.0.  As I said, my opinion is that
we
should make only incremental changes until 1.0 (mid-to-end of January?)