From Stephane Hillion <Stephane.Hill...@sophia.inria.fr>
Subject Profiling
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2000 16:23:22 GMT
Hi,

For your information, I run a profiler and here are the interesting
facts :

    - While building GVT, 60 to 90% of the time is spent in
ViewCSS.getComputedStyle().
        I already optimized this in the past and the last part to
optimize was the CSS parser.

   - While displaying GVT:
        - get/setRenderingHints() called from
AbstractGraphicsNode.paint() can represent more than 25% of the repaint
time,
        - in documents with a lot of text,
                TextLayout.getOutline() takes 30% to 40% of the time
(mainly in GeneralPath lineTo and quadTo operations. note:
GeneralPath.needRoom() can take over than 70% of the getOutline()
invocation time),
                TextLayout.<init> takes 30 to 40% of the time,
decomposed as follow:
                    - Hashtable.put() takes 15 to 20%,
                    - Font.getFont() takes 15 to 20%,
        - I didn't try documents with filter effects.

There is perhaps something to optimize with rendering hints, but for
TextLayout I don't see.. everything is private and/or final in this
class..
--
    Stephane.