From Thierry Kormann <Thierry.Korm...@sophia.inria.fr>
Subject Re: [bugs] Filter bounds vs. getPrimitiveBounds
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:37:16 GMT

> > It is normal to use the geometric bounds
> >and not the primitive bounds.
>
> No, I don't think so.  Primitive bounds are what are
> needed for filters.  The question is how we implement
> this change.  But without it filters will not work
> as one wishes.

Yes it is. See SVG spec : 7.11 Object bounding box units

"The bounding box is the tightest fitting rectangle aligned with the
axes of the referencing element's user coordinate system that entirely
encloses the referencing element and its descendants. The bounding box is
computed exclusive of any values for clipping, masking, filter effects,
opacity and stroke-width"

We have to use getGeometricBounds (bounds without any style).
The problem to do something else is that the order you compute the style
attributes (stroke then filter OR filter then stroke) becomes significant.

Notice that you have the x, y, width and height attributes that let users grow
the filter region if needed (taking into account the stroke...).

Thierry.

--
Thierry Kormann
email: Thierry.Kormann@sophia.inria.fr  http://www.inria.fr/koala/tkormann/