From Bill Haneman <Bill.Hane...@ireland.sun.com>
Subject Re: Profiling
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:07:16 GMT
Stephane said:

<...>

>        - in documents with a lot of text,
>                TextLayout.getOutline() takes 30% to 40% of the time
>(mainly in GeneralPath lineTo and quadTo operations. note:
>GeneralPath.needRoom() can take over than 70% of the getOutline()
>invocation time),
>                TextLayout.<init> takes 30 to 40% of the time,
>decomposed as follow:
>                    - Hashtable.put() takes 15 to 20%,
>                    - Font.getFont() takes 15 to 20%,
>        - I didn't try documents with filter effects.
>
>There is perhaps something to optimize with rendering hints, but for
>TextLayout I don't see.. everything is private and/or final in this
>class..

We are probably going to lose our dependancies on this class (TextLayout)
eventually.  If and when we do we will have a little more
control over this, though a lot of the behavior is still
probably locked into java.awt.Font and the very compute-intensive
font path negotiations.

-Bill

------
Bill Haneman +353 1 8199279