From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject ApacheCON Feedback
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:08:53 GMT
People,

I must say that I'm impressed by the work you guys have done. Amazing,
to say the least.

I met Vincent and Thierry and I was really happy about it, then I
committed myself to "see" what was going on and dowloaded the whole
thing.... I rewrote the build file, started writing the docs, came out
with a couple of bug fixes... you know, the normal stuff, but, man,
Batik KICKS ASS big time!!!

I'll commit the build system, initial docs templates and all that so
that you guys can prepare the distribution and the web site ready for
release. I also made sure the build system is aligned with the rest of
the xml.apache.org projects (I'm very picky at those things) and
abstracted enough to allow you guys to add classes and requirements with
very little effort (instead of listing all the packages which clearly
shows you guys don't know Ant at all :)

Anyway, this email is to tell you that it is extremely rare to find a
collection of such capable developers and people that can work together
that much.

Many ASF members couldn't believe their eyes when we showed them Batik
for the first time: they start questioning why we "java-related" members
are better in creating projects than the original ASF members.

This is great. This shows the ASF can scale without spreading too thin,
but rather going stronger and stronger. This is also great because gives
us java-related members more weight into the foundation and more
decisional power to continue this path.

This is why I want to thank all of you for both your work as engineers
and your attitude as individuals, I feel proud of having helped (even if
just a little bit) you guys to reach this point and I'll continue to
support you with whatever it takes to make Batik more and more
successful both as a technology and as a community of great people.

Indeed, thanks.

And keep up the great work.

P.S. I'll commit the patches myself, they should not break anything, but
if they do, fix them :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.