From Vincent Hardy <vincent.ha...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Text selection and attributes in 0.0
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:53:21 GMT
Bill,

Bill Haneman wrote:

> Hi Guys:
>
> In my initial look at the current CVS packages I don't see
> that my (hastily-assembled) text selection has been integrated
> into the viewer yet.

Yes, we have not go to it.

> How do we want to go about that, and have GUI events (within the
> viewing window) been integrated into the viewer yet?  If and
> when they are, I can integrate at least the select-on-click
> text selection so that text element strings are pasted into the
> system clipboard when a mouse click is received on a text element.
>
> From there, if there is any support for property change events on
> elements in the static viewer then I can integrate the visual feedback
> for text selection, otherwise it will be difficult.
>
> Vincent/anyone who has done troubleshooting on the text selection,
> let me know what you have found so far; I expect that there are bugs in
> applying the transforms to the mouse coords in some cases.

Well, I have not done any work on text actually, and I do not think
anybody has. GVT has changed though. Bounds are now specified in
user space and the painting primitives are about to be simplified
(I had to do this for filters, and I will commit the changes as
soon as I resolve my connection problems).

> Note also that the existing TextPainter takes a fully general
> AttributedCharacterIterator  as described in
> java.text.AttributedCharacterIterator - thus we can implement limited
> tspan support (without individual character positioning via X, Y, DX,
> DY) immediately if we want.
>
> I will only have limited time before the Nov. 3 target date to
> work on code, but will devote as much of that time as I can to whatever
> text/event goals we decide.  All in all I should have about 4 coding
> days free.  Of course, that's about as long as we had at the hackathon
> :-)

My preference is to do the following, in order of priority:

a. limited tspan support (i.e., support styling properties).
b. text stroking (is that possible at all?)
c. text selection.

Given the time frame and the amount of synchronization required, I
think c may be hard to make by November 3rd.

What do you think?
V.