From Thomas E Deweese <thomas.dewe...@kodak.com>
Subject jdk 1.3 dependencies
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:52:08 GMT

BH> Hi Guys: In building the current CVS packages I encountered a
BH> number of jdk1.3 dependencies.  Of course I can use 1.3, and am
BH> using it now, but I am not sure that we want to require users of
BH> batik to upgrade from 1.2.X...

    I tend to agree that 1.3 dependencies are probably not warranted
at this point.  In fact this is a larger issue for me since jdk1.3
currently isn't supported on Solaris 2.5.1 (and probably never will
be).  Currently I'm "borrowing" a test solaris 2.7 box for this work.

BH> I found and removed a couple of dependencies during the hackathon,
BH> but the ones I found today are less trivial to remove:

BH>     * constructor JMenuItem(Action) [ since 1.3 ]

    There doesn't appear to be a real nice solution for this one.  I
personally think Action's are great so I kind of hate to replace this
with the alternative but we could.

BH>     * method java.awt.image.ColorModel.getTransferType() [javadoc
BH> does not indicate that this is a new method, but it is].

    This can be replaced by checking the SampleModel & datatype in use.