xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cl...@bea.com>
Subject RE: XMLBeans ready to exit incubation?
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:52:59 GMT
Noah Campbell wrote on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 11:07 AM:

> Since I saw the presentation at eWorld, I was eager to participate
> however I found the external facing documentation is a bit sparse and
> the TODO list is pretty weak.

I assume you aren't referring to the TODO list that simply for incubation,
as opposed to the issues and bugs in JIRA.  IMO, JIRA should be the TODO
list that drives development, although we could probably do more.  We
also have an FAQ and a growing number of "mini-specs" to help people get
figure out enough to be able to make useful contributions.

> I'm curious how the project is run at
> BEA?  Is a gap between XMLBeans the "BEA team" vs XMLBeans the "Apache
> project" and if so is that due to BEA members communicating and short
> circuiting the community all together.

I think, for the most part, each committer tends to have one or two
areas that they focus on (like Eric's work on the store, or Dutta's
interest in investigation of XQuery options).  The short circuiting
you are referring to is something BEA folks are very sensitive to not
do -- we're not all perfect at it, but we try to have all discussions
on these public lists.  If it ever appears to you that we've made
some behind-the-scenes decision, you should call us on it; but I don't
expect that will happen very often.

> Apache may have had the foresight to see that a certain level of
> committer diversity indirectly strengthens the communication around
> the project.  If this is the case, then XMLBeans needs to make sure
> they have the required number of committers before it can leave.
>
> If I remember correctly, one more committer was needed.

Now that the Incubator community is reconsidering the 50% rule, we
are no longer in the position where we need one more non-BEA person
just to leave the incubator.  Under the 50% rule, we had two choices:
1) rush the normal process of adding this last committer, since all
other exit criteria was complete, or 2) remain in the incubator for
as long as it takes to bring on a committer through the typical
process. IMO, neither of these options were the right thing to do.

> I would love
> to volunteer to the project and hopefully get committer status but
> I've been hovering around the sidelines because I can't tell what
> needs to be done.  Maybe I'm missing the point because I'm not a
> committer anywhere else so please point me in the right direction.

I'm sure everyone would love to help you to start contributing to
the project, and we need to have another discussion (probably on a
different thread on the dev list) about what you're interested in
and what would help push XMLBeans forward.  However, becoming a
committer is something that we would discuss more after you (or
anyone) has made a sustained series of contributions to the project.

> XMLBeans is a great product.  I look forward to v2.

that's great to hear!