xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Vasilik" <eric...@bea.com>
Subject RE: xmlbeans xml security
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 04:14:55 GMT
Note that prefixes are preserved in v2.  I assume the c14n work will be
done in the v2 codebase (perhaps a sandbox at first).  Please keep me
informed as to what features you need in the current saver base classes.
It is not obvious to me that extending them is the right thing to do.
It may turn out that c14n is so different that it merits a different
chunk of code, perhaps reusing some pieces of the current saver,
especially the SaveCur.

- Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: David Waite [mailto:mass@akuma.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 5:27 PM
To: xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: xmlbeans xml security

On Jul 1, 2004, at 6:00 PM, Noah Campbell wrote:

> I think we're on the same page in regards to this.  I'm having to dig
> into the specs for c14n and at least how I interrept it the prefix of
> the QName from the localpart must be preserved in the original
> document.

The full QName, prefix, namespace URI and local name must all be
preserved.

> As I understand c14n (and I'm learning volumes as I prepare to
> implement a C14NSaver) the namespace is discarded in the
> cananocialized form.  Sure the output is not xml valid, or namespace
> collisions cause a lossy form, but this is okay.  The point is not to
> have a valid doc but a representation that will be unique on a byte
> level.

The namespace definitions are always there if you canonicalize a full
document; redundant definitions are removed. Actually, only if you do
exclusive canonicalization on a partial document will namespaces be
removed, and only if no attributes or elements names included in the
canonicalized form are using them. The issue I stated below was that
the prefix was not preserved, so elements may switch prefixes  on save
to whichever one happens to have precedence internally. This breaks
canonicalization, although it does not change the meaning of the
document. It also breaks infoset fidelity (xml-infoset , sections 2.2
and 2.3 property 3).

And I thought I was writing the C14NSaver. :) Would you like to work
together?

-David Waite