xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "Rosenhoover Remy-p3016c" <Remy.Rosenhoo...@gdds.com>
Subject RE: xmlbeans status report
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:14:01 GMT

   A binary distibution is certainly needed to jump start use outside of the community of
contributors. I looked at using xmlbeans to speed up my development cycle from a few days
to a few hours. A binary distribution would have assisted me in moving along this path...

   As a new Open Source user I first look to kick the tires using a binary distribution and
then move onto a source distribution for customization if needed.

Remy Rosenhoover
Real Time Software Systems
TAIS Software Engineer @ General Dynamics Decision Systems
ph:(256)-890-1937

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Bishop [mailto:mbishop@infowave.com]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 5:10 PM
To: xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: xmlbeans status report

Good points, Cliff.

Probably the biggest detriment to the project is the lack of a downloadable
binary.  Having to build src isn't hard, but it's work, and some people
don't have ant, and some people don't have Windows, so building requires yet
more work.  The end result is that it is frustrating to play with XMLBeans,
causing many to move on, or worse, think of XMLBeans as half-baked.

Having a binary download as well as a src.zip would greatly enhance people's
interest, which would in turn drive up the bug count (we know they are out
there!) as well as patch submissions, which lead to the identification of
committers to invite to the team.

Matt