xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cl...@bea.com>
Subject RE: xmlbeans status report
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:03:32 GMT
Personally, I would like to see more critical points about what we
haven't done so well.  I'm hoping that, aside from satisfying the
incubator report requirement, we can also use this as a check point
internally to see what's not going as well as it could be.

Here is my list of things we could improve on (in no particular order
yet...I can try to be more thorough in a few hours when I finish my
day job):

1. Bug management: http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=XMLBeans
(as has already been mentioned by one or two others)
-- This is just as much related to community as code.  Of the 12 bugs
entered so far, we haven't done a very good job of keeping them updated
with status.  We should encourage people to file bugs by showing that
the committers are actually responding to them (even if the response
is "need more info to repro" or simply noting the priority).

2. Web site: http://xml.apache.org/xmlbeans/
-- We got this built and running but we need to keep it updated.  For
instance, it still shows the ApacheCon advertisement.

3. Binary download.
-- We started to get this done, but I don't think we ever finished.
Actually, I'd like to try to get this done in the next couple days.

4. PPMC
-- The incubator introduced the idea of a PPMC and we haven't responded
to this yet.  I'll follow up in a separate post on what needs to be done.

5. Status file
-- We need to update the status file with the latest incubator guidelines.
We're mostly there, but there are a couple things that need to be added.
I also think the status file needs to be updated in one or two other ways.
For instance, the tasks completed should now include:
- build xmlbeans website
- grant some committers access to xml-site (although I forgot who has this;
I think it is me and Remy)

6. Committer keys
Bau and I were both able to make it to ApacheCon and we both participated in
the key-signing party.  We need to get other committers to make keys and
get them signed by me and Bau whenever we run into each other in person
again.

7. New Committers
The biggest issue of all is definitely the new committers, as everyone
seems to agree.  We really need to find more ways to encourage others to
contribute.   I think we are all ready and willing to share some of the
responsibility; we just need to find people who are showing enough interest
(and action) to be considered for committership.

Cliff