xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerald B. Rosenberg" <...@newtechlaw.com>
Subject RE: Entire XML in memory?
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 00:25:36 GMT
I, too, am quite interested in this issue.

My fundamental question is why should any of an XML exist outside of the
database in order to be worked upon.  Instead, why can't -- indeed why
shouldn't -- v2 be (also) architected to leverage the existing XML handling
capabilities of the hybrid databases, such as Oracle 9i and DB2.  O9i in
particular provides native/raw XPath, XQuery and cursor capabilities using
an SQL-centric syntax.  Using these native XML/DB capabilities would
preserve the indexing, concurrency control, access rights, etc. provided by
the database.  By instancing even only a block of the XML outside of the
database, it seems you have to lock the corresponding portion of the
database while providing your own XPath/XQuery/XMLCursor
implementations.  That does not seem to be an efficient use of the database.

Of course not all DBs have these native XML capabilities.  Just my opinion
that the current weight of development -- not scientific, just a bunch of
web browsing and reading -- is tending toward integrating XML directly into
the DBs, which is helped by XPath, XQuery and cursor operations being
relatively well-accepted/well-defined standards.

Just as a reference point, my use-case scenario is a corpus of several
thousand XML documents with multiple concurrent processes performing a
progressive, essentially statistical analysis and update of the
documents.  Each process will need to reference multiple documents at a
time to perform group analysis.  At least one other process will be adding
documents to the corpus.  Each document is likely to be fairly large: 100 -
300kB.  (If the documents were not fundamentally XML, this would be a quite
standard relational application.)

XMLBeans looks to provide the java-centric programming model that is most
appropriate for my needs.  However, I am concerned with the apparent
absence of concurrency capabilities and failure to take advantage of the DB
indexing/performance capabilities.

Can you please comment on how (if) v2 will address these issues.  Have you
yet established the back-end API.  If you have, I would really like to take
a look at it.

Best,
Gerald