xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "David Bau" <david....@bea.com>
Subject Serializability
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:16:19 GMT
Also...

> On a related note, why doesn't XmlObject extends Serializable?  I feel
> like I'm taking a chance passing an XMLBean over RMI.

The feeling was that only concrete classes, not interfaces, should be marked
as Serializable.  This is one of those philosophical purity things -
serializability is about classes, not interfaces.  As an example of this -
note that java.util.Collection, List, Set, etc are not Serializable while
the concrete class implementations ArrayList, HashSet, etc., are.

But you can rest assured that all the implementations of XmlObject supplied
by XMLBeans are Serializable (they all inherit from our XmlObjectBase
class).

David