xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xmlbeans status report
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:55:17 GMT

On 18 Jan 2004, at 01:58, Brian McCallister wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2004, at 3:18 PM, David Remy wrote:
>
>> Incubation seems to be going well with one, albeit an important one,
>> challenge of getting outside committers.  Having a large existing
>> codebase in a fairly complicated area makes it challenging.  The
>> growing user community and the excellent posts that we are getting on
>> the xmbleans-dev list make us optimistic we will make some break
>> throughts in the next period.
>
> I think there are probably people who want to contribute to (and make
> more use of) xmlbeans but you nailed it -- it is big, sophisticated,
> and not working with a well-understood (by most people in positions to
> contribute) technology.

yep.

it's quite possible that xml beans is having to fight against one of
stefano's rules for (apache) project building: the difficulty of
building a good developer community is in proportion to the quality of
the starting code base. in other words, given the same quality of
vision, it's easier to create a good developer community around a poor
quality code base than a good quality one.

of course, that doesn't mean that the thing to do is to throw out all
that good code ;)

but it's worth remember that if you've already got good code, community
building is going to take more time.

- robert