xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Calahan <p...@bea.com>
Subject RE: XMLBeans and JDK 1.3
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:42:22 GMT
Yeah, would be nice, but if we're serious about supporting 1.3, we have to
make the call now.   I know I already have a few small 1.4 dependencies (on
java.util.logging).  Those would be easy enough to rip out, but some other
considerations include:

- Losing built-in exception chaining will be a little painful
- I believe LinkedHashMap was new in 1.4, and I think I've seen it used in
a few places
- probably others, can't think of any right now

We can certainly roll our own solutions for these kinds of things, but
that's something that's always a lot easier to do sooner than later.  Also,
if we want to do 1.3, we should set up a monkey to run the tests against
the xbean binaries on 1.3, so that we can find out immediately when we
introduce a 1.4 dependency.

-p