xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XmlBeans.jar size
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:42:25 GMT
it might not seem so but there are probably two different (but related)
issues (with regard to separating out a runtime jar).

the first is the products that xml-beans chooses to distribute.
xml-beans is certainly heavy and with the documentation that typically
accumpianies an ASF distribution that'll be a sizable download. on the
other hand, it's often proved more trouble than it's worth to create
two distributions (users just tend to grab a distribution without
thought and then moan when it doesn't have everything they want in it).

the second is the ability for users to create a runtime distribution.
this is a very important feature for some users. 1.3M is big - but much
smaller than 2M. being able to create a minimal runnable distribution
is a request that tends to crop up pretty frequently.

i'd suggest that creating a target that builds a runtime jar would be a
very worthy endeavour but i'd think carefully before distributing it
officially. it would be very useful if the runtime classes were
separated into different (documented) packages since this allows users
to roll their own runtime library just by unpacking and repacking a
distribution.

- robert