xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: gmane.org
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:30:31 GMT
> From: David Bau [mailto:david.bau@bea.com]
>
> Haven't heard of gmane, but at any rate, no objections from me....

It's an automated tool that subscribes to mailing lists, and then serves the
posts from a news reader. So instead of getting tons of emails in your inbox
to monitor mailing lists of interest to you (push), you use a news reader
(with proper message threading, etc...)

Most Jakarta MLs are already registered there. For example, I switched this
morning from monitoring the Jakarta General ML to monitoring the
gmane.comp.jakarta.general newsgroup (served from news.gmane.org).

The only drawback from Gmane is that to post messages, you need to be
subscribed to the ML, thus you receive the mails (kind of defeats the
purpose), and there's sometimes some slight delay between the news server
and the ML. For lurking, that fine though.

I'll see how/if I can add an XmlBeans newsgroup to GMane. Thanks, --DD