xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "Radu Preotiuc-Pietro" <ra...@bea.com>
Subject XmlBeans.jar size
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:29:24 GMT
Speaking of ways to contribute to XmlBeans...
A couple of days ago I was looking into the size and composition of XMLBeans jar, see attached
spreadsheet.
The idea was to trim the size down by removing classes only used when compiling schemas, ending
up with a runtime jar which was about 35% smaller (1.3MB vs 2.0MB before the change). Of course,
we'd still need everything when compiling.
I personally am not convinced by the usefulness of such a change, since instead of one jar
we'd have two and I value simplicity over file size :). Also, it's not clear what will be
the proportion of runtime/compiletime code that will be added from now on.
Nevertheless, the question is still open, so if anybody is interested, they are more than
welcome to look into it further. The advantage is that Schema knowledge is not required to
contribute in this area and I will be of course happy to help if things seem to get hairy.

Radu

The things that are not used at compiletime are:
org/apache/xmlbeans/impl/tool/
org/apache/xmlbeans/impl/schema/ (part of it, I'll reorganize to make it clearer which part)
schema/system/sXMLSCHEMA
org/w3/x2001/xmlSchema/
org/w3/x2001/xmlSchema/impl/
schema/src/
not sure about org/apache/xmlbeans/impl/jam/*

Package name	Size(KB)

license.txt	3
com/bea/x2002/x09/xbean/config/*	35
com/bea/x2003/x01/xmlbean/xsdownload/*	34
javax/xml/namespace/	3
meta-inf/	8
com/bea/x2003/x05/xmlbean/ltgfmt/*	56
org/apache/internal/xmlbeans/wsdlsubst/*	34
org/apache/xml/xmlbeans/bindingConfig/*	165
org/apache/xmlbeans/	482
org/apache/xmlbeans/impl/binding/bts/	69
org/apache/xmlbeans/impl/binding/compile/	85
org/apache/xmlbeans/impl/common/	165
org/apache/xmlbeans/impl/config	4
org/apache/xmlbeans/impl/jam/*	121
org/apache/xmlbeans/impl/marshal/	125