xml-xmlbeans-dev mailing list archives

From "David Bau" <david....@bea.com>
Subject Start-with-java annotations
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:06:06 GMT
Pcal and the rest of dev team -

I've put together a short wiki with some Java annotations that we probably
want to use in the start-with Java case for XMLBeans v2:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XmlBeansStartWithJavaAnnotations

They provide, e.g., the ability to exclude a property from binding; to
specialize to a specific subclass of the declared type of a property; to
change names, use attributes, configure arrays.

Please feel free to annotate the wiki with clarifications, questions,
comments, additions.

Some questions about annotations in general.

(1) Do you think we're going to be moving our annotation use to JSR 175 (JDK
1.5) for v2?  I know we've got support for annoations-in-javadoc right now.
What is Sun's timeframe for 1.5 anyway?  I think that if it fits, we should
plan on it.

(2) I notice we're currently processing source code to extract annotations,
but I believe the JSR 175 model is for a compiler to compile the annotations
into .class files which are then processed afterwards.  So that suggests
that we shouldn't be processing Java source code, but rather compiled
classes?  Is somebody here familiar enough with 175 to say if that is
correct?

David